Scripture calls us to express our joy to the Lord by singing. “Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise” (Jas 5:13). We are going to spend some time together singing “psalms and hymns and spiritual songs” (Col 3:16; Eph 5:19) on the fifth Sunday of March. Following the morning service, all are invited to a fellowship lunch of soup and salad. Each family is asked to bring a pot of soup and a dessert and the church will provide the salad and beverage. After lunch, we will meet upstairs to read Scripture and sing. There will be no regular Family Bible Forum that evening. The order of service will be as follows.
Psalms: prayers sung to God
- Read Psalm 27, sing “The Lord Is My Light” (M-86)
- Read Psalm 61, sing “Psalm 61” (handout book #6)
- Read Psalm 134, sing “Stand up and Bless the Lord” (M-36)
Other Scriptural psalms include the book of the Psalms, Exodus 15, 2 Samuel 22, Jonah 2, Habakkuk 3
Hymns: songs of praise about God
- Read Revelation 5:9–14; 11:17–18, 15:3–4, 19:1–10, sing “Great and Marvelous” (M-74)
- Read Philippians 2:5–11, sing “See the Christ” (handout book #21)
- Sing favorite hymns of praise
Other New Testament hymns include Eph 1:3-14; 5:14; 1 Tim 3:16; Luke 1:46–55, 68–79; 2:14, 29–32.
Spiritual songs: songs that communicate the Holy Spirit-inspired words of Scripture
- “Come, Lonely Heart” (handout)
- Sing favorites from the hymnals and hymn of the month booklet